Things to consider before you start looking for your Beach home in Puerto Penasco, Mexico
Number 1 for most buyers is cost. What does it cost to purchase ocean front property in Puerto Peansco? What price you are comfortable paying? Consider the several factors:
What are your priorities – what do you want to do with your time?
- Proximity to the ocean – do you want ocean front, or is ocean view ok, or maybe you don’t need to see the ocean? How much time do you want to spend at the beach, or are you ok with pool time.
- What size do you need – condos for the most part come in 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms, houses are larger. How big is your family? How often will everyone be there together? Are you going to rent it when you’re not there?
- Upkeep – are you willing to do the upkeep yourself and how much time and money are you willing to spend? If you don’t mind upkeep or paying someone to maintain it, you may want to consider a house. Or you don’t want any upkeep at all, you just want to be able to “lock and leave” it – then you want a condo.
- Fixer upper – do you mind a fixer upper? Are you ok with it needing major renovations, or just minor cosmetic changes?
- How often will you use it – is this a vacation home – an investment opportunity to collect rental income – are you retiring and plan to spend most of your time here?
- Rental Income - If your purchase intented to be an investment?
What part of town do you want to be in? Or do you want to be outside of town?
There are 4 main beaches in Rocky Point:
- Sandy Beach – this is where the high rise condos are at – this is where the most rentals are going to be if you’re purchasing an investment property
- The Mirador – this area has some ocean front homes and townhouses. here are also many homes with ocean view from a margarita deck, and some condo developments farther away from the beach, for very reasonable prices.
- Las Conchas – this area is mostly upscale homes in the $200k+ range, but there are fractional opportunities for sale. Many of these homes can be and are rented to families that need more space or larger groups of people that want to vacation in the same house.
- Cholla Bay – this is a unique and rustic area of town – it’s a few miles off Sandy Beach – there are vacant lots with building opportunities, there are fixer upper opportunities for a bargain price, but you’ll need some major renovations, and there are very upscale, move in ready homes with breathtaking views. This is where much of the sport fishing takes place and there are boat launch areas.
There are several beaches outside of town:
- Playa Encanto, which includes: Playa Dorado, Playa La Jolla, Encanto Living/Luna Blanca, Playa Miramar, Mayan Resort area
- Laguna Shores, Laguna del Mar, El Golfo Santa Clara
You have to drive further, however they are more remote and have more of a private beach feeling.
Some of these homes have full city services and others “off the grid” meaning you will need solar power and/or generators because there is no electric to the development yet.
How far away from the tourists do you want to be, taking into consideration the drive back to town for restaurants, shopping, grocery stores, and activities?
All of the above lead to Price...
What are you comfortable paying and what do you want for your money?
Condos have HOA fees that cover everything except electricity – they start at around $200 per month up to $1000 per month – this depends on the size of your condo and the resort amenities (this can be offset if you consider renting your condo when you’re not using it).
Most HOA Fees at the resorts include - water, sewer, trash, ground maintaniance, security, parking, wrap insurance, cable, internet.
These fees also cover all building maintenance outside of your unit, so you’ll never have to come up with the money for a new roof, or painting, or landscaping, etc.
Home developments may have minimal HOA fees to cover security and city services. However, you’ll be responsible for the upkeep – are you handy and want to DIY, or are you going to hire someone to take care of the property when you’re not there?
Please call Kyle Wood at 480-297-8079 for in-depth one-on-one conversation on how to purchase your dream vacation home / investment property; how financing works in Rocky Point, and closing costs.
You can also email Kyle at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out puertopenascoliving.com or rockypointkyle.com
Please call Stephanie Wood at 602-909-7800 for more information on Rocky Point Activites or to further discuss if a condo or house is right for you. You can email Steph at email@example.com or read her blog, puertopenascojoe.com
You can also follow Puerto Peñasco Joe on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
Buen Viaje! Kyle and Stephanie Wood